Saturday, May 2, 2009

guys and trucks

i'm totally tired of huge guys in huge trucks. you know who i'm talking about. every week when i go out fishing i have to deal with this menace. big 4-wheel drive aggro-type atv hauling, logging, landscaping construction-worker, dog not tied up in the back of the pick-up, spitting and throwing garbage and cigs out of the window... they are everywhere and i am tired of their intimidating and dangerous driving.

my friend said, "well, you're a guy in a truck". and i'm saying my intimidation factor is compared to an ant versus your shoe.

yesterday, i went out to the salmonberry river, off of highway 26 to walk some trails, do some fishing, have a picnic., enjoy the sun. the first culprit barreling down on me happened to be a huge silverado pick-up with two all-terrain motorcycles in the back. he followed me on 26 and it seemed to be a fun little game to this guy until he became irate when my little old truck (named jerry) couldn't get up the hill fast enough for him. he was so close it would have been better for him to push jerry, seeing as how he had an enormous grill and winch in the front of his truck for no apparent reason. i pulled aside at a turn-off hoping he would just pass me niceley, but no, he had to totally swerve over towards my bumper to show me who was boss.

i also was assaulted by logging trucks. have you ever been in front of one of these things? its like they try and chase you down. i was on a beautiful road near the town of timber, when all of a sudden the forest opened up to fields of scarred stumps and this logging truck pulled out and started chasing me down. i was white knuckled on jerry's steering wheel around these crazy switchbacks with no room to breathe.

i'm just saying. i'm not even afraid of the animals in the woods. i'm afraid of the people in the woods.

wish i could post a more positive story today, but then again, i wish i have had more positive interactions with folks in the woods lately.

please follow my buddy's blog, as he posts more than me and has really great insight about life and roots and family... http://www.ramblesofbillyray.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. aww, darlin'...I know exactly what you're talking about...Texas is the land of "guys in trucks". And we're talkin' dualies, monster truck tires, killbars, spiked rims, tommy gate drivin' fellas throwin' beer cans out the window and totin' shotguns...i was nearly mowed down once myself while driving back from Dallas in my little Datsun 210. Its max speed was about 55mph and the guy in the truck behind me was so pissed off he revved right up on my tail, put on his ten gallon hat and leaned forward in his seat to attack me with the look on his face before trying to run me off the road...

    ReplyDelete